[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:10:13 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Zak" <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

One reason I prefer f 3.5 versions to the f 2.8s in the various Rollei models was my clear impression that the f 2.8s were noticeably heavier. Eventually, I too was quite surprised to find the actual weight so close. Why it should have seemed otherwise remains mysterious. However, I very definitely prefer the 75 mm focal length, finding the 80 mm view a bit constricted in comparison. Over years I have used several, including on Hasselblads, and never get entirely comfortable with them. My provisional explanation for this preference is that the first Rollei I ever used was a 1939 (?) Automat and I got imprinted, like a baby duck. That happens to me a lot in life.

Allen Zak

Balance maybe. I weighed my Rolleis a while back. I will have to do it again because I can't find the notes I made. I do not have an f/3.5 with either Xenotar or Planar but my 2.8E is definitely the heaviest of the Rolleis and feels a bit nose-heavy. The lightest was an "Old Standard" the next lightest was the Rolleicord IV.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA