[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:29:21 -0500

Actually, I have two; MX-EVS w/Xenar and 3.5F w/Planar. I use them more or less interchangeably, depending mostly on whim. For color transparencies I prefer the Planar, also occasionally I like to use a Rollei prism, but mostly I grab and go with the first one at hand. They are in identical bags not easy to tell apart at a glance, so every once in a while I don't know which I have until picture time. My attitude toward photo gear has always been a touch eccentric, I must admit.

Allen Zak

On Jan 23, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Robert Meier wrote:

Allen,

That sounds like an excellent basic outfit.   Which Rollei?

Bob

On Jan 23, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Allen Zak wrote:

I regard the #1 to be essential equipment. It bridges, for me, a critical gap in close focussing. Of the Rolleinar series, I find the #1 most viable, the others less satisfactory in use because the parallax is too pronounced to predict results with enough accuracy. Some photographers use them well, but I have a hunch that except for controlled studio situations, serendipity often plays a role in results.

Over decades and after many iterations, my essential Rollei gear evolved to: camera (one only), neck strap, lens hood, light meter, small flash, medium yellow filter, Rolleinar #1, Rolleifix, film, all packed into a LowePro Minimag camera bag. Other Rollei accessories come along as needed, but this is my basic, out-the-door outfit that I have carried 20+ years.

Allen Zak

On Jan 23, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Ferdi Stutterheim wrote:

Thor,

I believe you will find some of the information you are after here:

http://www.stutterheim.org/rolleigraphy/rolleinar_table.htm

It is more than 10 years ago since i have used a Rolleinar. IIRC the parallax correction prism works "good enough".

Ferdi
----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 22 jan 2010, om 14:41 heeft Thor Legvold het volgende geschreven:

I'd like to hear more about the Rolleinars, as I have all 3, but found them a bit fiddly to use compared to the 6008/90mm APO-Symmar makro I recently posted. Any suggestions? How close can you go? How well does the parralax system work?

Cheers,
Thor

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org