[rollei_list] Re: OT: Question re shutter CLA and Ronsonol

  • From: Richard Urmonas <rurmonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:53:22 +101800

Quoting Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I can squirt vast amounts of Ronsonol
> into the shutter though this slot. I can also drain dissolved stuff
> out, and at one time quite a bit of sludge came out though it after the
> Ronsonol had loosened it up. Bits of black solids also came out -
> specks of stuff like maybe tiny paint chips? I thought I was succeeding
> in cleaning the shutter off completely, in fact - so much stuff came
> out.

This is bad, this is very bad.  Why is it that intelligent sane people do these
things to a beautiful precision machine like a rolleiflex.  Solvents should not
be
used indiscriminately.  Yes you need to use solvents, but just sloshing it
around
is not good.  If you are lucky you will only have loosened some paint in a
non-critical
area, and the other bits still inside the shutter have not migrated to somewhere
critical.  The actual amount of 'dirt' in a 'dirty' shutter is very small.
Really just old
lubricant + any stuff which has evaporated from paint etc. inside the shutter.
There
is usually very little dirt which has got into the shutter from the outside
(with exceptions
of course).

> But the question remains in the back of my mind: what happens after the
> CLA? Won't dust and dirt get into the shutter again, through this slot?

Noramlly one does not leave a camera sitting exposed in a dust storm.
Under normal use the camera spends most of its time inside a case, so
these is little oportunity for dirt to get inside.  Also the various slots etc,
on shutters are not that large, so the entry of dirt is not a problem.  Of
the many shutters I have overhauled, dust / dirt from the outside has
not been a problem.

Richard
--
Richard Urmonas