[rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 00:53:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Frazier" <kennybod@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:36 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

On May 4, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

 Some notes about monitor calibration: The choice of
white balance color is very important, it should match the
color of the light the final print is to be viewed under.
All lightin

Thanks, Richard, for the notes and info.

I attended a demo by Jay Seldin last year. He was printing on an Epson 3880, with Canson papers, and the ambient lighting was fluorescent. The prints were excellent. And, he printed images that attendees brought in with them, so there wasn't any pre-setup.

The ambient lighting issue is a bit confusing, at least for me, because I don't know where my prints will be viewed.

I just sold three of my b&w prints, and I know these will be hung in a newly-redecorated home. When I saw them in their new location, they did NOT look as I expected. Not bad, mind you, just not what I expected.

My question, I guess, is: How do I adjust for possible changes in ambient lighting? Or, is that not possible?

Ken

There really isn't any way, however, reflection prints are at least illuminated by the ambient so, presumably, any adaption made by the eye will affect both in the same way. For motion pictures or TV the screen color is fixed so the interpretation of whether its too much one or another color depends on how the eye is adapted at the moment. That is the idea behind having your work space illuminated in the same color light as the screen. The print should be viewed in the same light so that as your eye moves from the screen to the resulting print it is not shifting around. Actually, there is some shift anyway depending on the dominant colors in the image but that is not usually important. The only thing to beware of is the difference in the appearance of prints made on paper with brighteners depending on the lighting as I mentioned. The brightening effect is from fluorescence caused by UV in the ambient lighting. When viewed under tungsten light, which has little UV, such prints can seem dull. Most neutral papers these days have brighteners but those with tinted stock usually do not. If you have any prints on old Kodabromide compare them to a print on modern neutral white stock under fluorescent light or daylight and then under tungsten light, you will see what I mean. A UV bulb will show up paper with brighteners in it. I don't know if they are used in color print but would guess they are.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles