[rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 00:56:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:38 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

At 03:46 PM 5/4/2011, Dick wrote, in part:
I think fluorescent lamps are made in this temperature as well as
approximately Illuminate D (6500K) for color TV work.

Has anyone noticed that a fairly high percentage of movies that include indoor or parking garage scenes are using the available light, mostly noticeable by the green cast associated with standard flourescents. No idea whether this is done for effect or to same money.

DAW

A lot of fluorescent lights do photograph greenish. I think there are filters to partially correct for this. If mixed light is used the filters must be on the lighting fixtures. That can be a problem in a large location like a parking garage. Who knows what judgments are made when making a movie but never discount being cheap anywhere. Usually when something is done that doesn't quite make sense the explanation is money.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA