[rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 13:46:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <Newhouse230@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:42 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Monitor calibration

Ken,
I just use a Colorvision Spyder3  calibration system. It
works very well.
Contrast, brightness and any 'warm tone' I add to the
black and  white image
are all accurately displayed on the monitor when compared
to the  prints
made on an Epson R3000.   Profile for the Epson papers I
use  are downloaded
from their site.

Regards,
Charlie Silverman

In a message dated 5/4/2011 10:07:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight
Time,
kennybod@xxxxxxx writes:

Folks,

I'm looking for some suggestions on calibrating my
monitor(s) for black
and white prints.  Any and all suggestions  welcomed.

TIA,

Ken

    Some notes about monitor calibration: The choice of
white balance color is very important, it should match the
color of the light the final print is to be viewed under.
All lighting in the vicinity of the monitor should be of
this color. The reason is that the eye continuously adapts
to the color of the ambient lighting. If you want to use
5000K, a standard for print media, then all lighting in the
room should match. I think fluorescent lamps are made in this
temperature as well as approximately Illuminate D (6500K)
for color TV work. The color management system used in the
computer will match the printer to the monitor, at least as
well as possible considering that two media (phosphor or
whatever is in a flat screen and dye or ink). Quite accurate
matching is possible but difficult to achieve, approximate
matching is much easier.
    The eye is very sensitive to color and brightness
differences seen when directly adjacent but has a poor
memory so its difficult to know if images match unless you
can see them compared directly.
    Note also that the appearance of dye, ink, and even
silver images can vary with the type of lighting. For
instance, some materials will fluoresce a bit under light
with a large UV content such as daylight or some types of
fluorescent light, so will look different under that kind of
lighting from they way they look under tungsten light. This
effect can be seen with silver-gelatin papers which contain
brighteners.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA