[rollei_list] Re: OT Kodak out of Digital?

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:26:11 -0400

I know your response is meant to be ironic but you've basically
encapsuled the difference between running a Fortune 100 company 50
years ago and running one today. The concept of a core business is
more important today than is was then. The world has turned much
flatter, markets are much broader, and the internal and external
customer's requirements have changed substantially. So viable business
tactics and production/distribution/marketing strategies must
substantially shange as well...

BTW GE is a well-diversified company with several discrete core
businesses that include internal manufacturing. By most traditional
measures it is the most successful stock in the history of the S&P
500.

Eric Goldstein

--

On 8/2/06, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:13 AM Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Kodak out of Digital?

> Not out of digital at all... just outsourcing. This could > be a really > good move IF these people understand product development > and life > cycle. Kodak has the brand and the distribution. > > It does beg the question of just what Kodak's core > business will be... > > > Eric Goldstein > Their core business will be outsourcing. What is General Electric's core business? Is the concept of a core business an outmoded idea?

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx