[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:51:01 -0400

> Bob wrote:
>> the whole essence of large format is one shot at a time - setting up,
>> lighting, exposing one shot, development for the one shot, etc. -- not
>> the mass processing of roll film much less the batch processing of
>> digital!
>
> Here's where I get frustrated.
>
> There's lots of amazing reasons to shoot LF.  My personal fave is the fact
> that a perfectly exposed 4x5 chrome in Provia 400F is downright amazing to
> look at.
>
> What really burns me is that I shoot (primarily) club and arena musicians, and
> getting them to stand still for this sort of photography is next to
> impossible.  I can picture this scene: "Hey, Mr. Musician, stop dancing
> around, playing your guitar, and wait for me to get this exposure off!!!"  :-)
>
> Sure, the slow mentality is great when you have geological time frames to work
> in.  Or when you're capturing a building, bottle of Coke, pair of shoes, etc.
> What I need to train myself in is the "Weegee" sort of surety so that I can
> just pop a shot and know that what's on the film is exactly what I saw.
>
> Does anybody here shoot 4x5 in a non-controlled environment?  Any aspiring
> press photogs out there that can share their tips on this aspect?
>
> Obligatory Rollei point - I tend to shoot my 6008 system only indoors, too.
> It's too cumbersome for doing concert work.  I lean heavily on large (fast)
> telephoto lenses to get the shots I want and MF lenses would be too cumbersome
> to carry/use. Call it a small version of my view camera, only with a dedicated
> roll back and a waist level finder!

> Jeffrey L. Bromberger
> jeffrey@xxxxxxxx

Shoot 8x10 that will get their attention.
It really is true that the bigger the camera the bigger the air of rapt
attention and respect it seems to command.
Also a tripod adds to your authority. Even to a smaller camera.
You're obviously not some half cranked snap shooter when you use a sizable
camera on an impressive tripod and a cable release.
People are very respectful. Instead of the opposite.

Hand held photography has a sneaky aspect to it people don't respect is my
psychological assessment.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com