[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:50:03 -0700

I do exactly this since moving a view camera around and changing lenses to find the right framing and perspective is tedious. My viewer, cord, and knots, was made commercially by Steve Peterson (Summitek) http://www.summitek.com/easel.html (bottom left in the picture). I have knots down one side for my SL66 lenses and knots down the other side for my 4x5 lenses.

:-)

Jim

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:20 PM, ralaubach@xxxxxxx wrote:

Probably the best tool for large format photography, and also in light of the heavy equipment schlepping issue, is a simple viewing frame - Take an 8x10 or 11x14 piece of mat board, cut a 4x5" hole in the center, and attach a string to the opening in the center of each of the dimensions. Then mark the string at the distance of the focal length of each lens you have e.g. 90mm, 210mm, whatever. This makes a handy viewer - just hold the string below your eye at the focal length you want to use and frame your shot. Much easier to move around with this to find just the right vantage point and THEN move that 4x5, whether it's a folding bed camera or rail camera, Sinar or Deardorff, or pinhole! Cheap and effective!