[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:28:36 -0400

I kinda think the same way as Mark . Sinar to me is a serious studio camera. Not that you can't play chop sticks on a Steinway but I would consider getting a Tachihara 4x5 field camera. You can find them on eBay at least once a week. Check out Ken Rockwell's write up about it: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm.

Rob

On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

I've been giving serious thought to trying 4x5 for the first time. I know nothing about it except from reading. I have about 40yrs of photo experience with 8mm through 6x9, though no view camera experience whatsoever.

I found a local seller with a Sinar F, 2 lenses, and what appears to be everything needed to get going - except film.

Does anyone reading know if this "kit" would be appropriate for a rank beginner to the world of 4x5?

Jeff

The words “Beginner” and “Sinar” has never been used in the same paragraph until this day and age with EBay.

Sinar is an impossible dream come true camera for peoples whose commitment to sheet film is unquestioned.

Thinking of it as a “I’m thinking of getting into 4x5 maybe I’ll start out with a Sinar” is amazing. I’d have called you a liar if you told me some day a thing would happen that would get people talking like that.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com