[rollei_list] Re: Neopan 400 in Ultrafin

  • From: Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:48:42 +0200

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.  Well, its NOT my trusty Rolleiflex 3.5E
causing the pattern, I think, because I just got back a Portra 160 today ,
which I loaded after the last spoiled Neopan picture in Leiden, NL.  The Portra
looks perfect !

The airport x-ray suggestion sound plausible to me.  This Neopan may have been
x-rayed at least once or twice during the move here to Germany in 2012 and
maybe also last fall during a flight to Italy. I am no longer using the lead
bags after someone told me the x-ray people just crank up the dosage if they
see a "big unpenetrable blob" in the picture (??).  So this, and the film being
relatively old & expired could be the problem. To narrow the problem I should
probably shoot a roll of brand new TriX and process with same chemicals i the
same Kindermann tank and see if things are okay.

'Hope to scan some of the Portra negs this week for you to see.

Cheers,
Jan
Bonn

P.S.:  What's your thoughts on the best 400 ASA (120) film to replace my
beloved Neopan 400? Ilford HP5, TriX??  I don't like very  contrasty negs in my
b&w shots.