[rollei_list] Re: I'm looking for a Rolleiwide. Is it a sensible pursuit?

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:19:30 -0400

Vick -

I'm going to offer another point of view...

IMO older Distagon designs are mediocre performers, both in TLR and
retrofocus. If you want character, then I guess a classic Rolleiwide
is something to look at.

If you love TLRs I'd look at a Koni-Omegaflex 67 with a 58mm lens.
This lens was a variant of the super angulon and is a much better
performer at a lower price point than a rolleiwide. Mamiya TLRs may
also have some good wide options as well.

I also shoot a 23 Speed with an 80 mm wide field Ektar.

And of course the Mamiya MF rangefinders which have superb lenses
including wides.

Some people like the Fujiwide rangefinders... they will also be less expensive.

Eric Goldstein