[rollei_list] Re: I'm looking for a Rolleiwide. Is it a sensible pursuit?

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:19:25 +0200

From a practicality standpoint, you can always make a sharp lens soft, with any
number of "fixes" to acheive a wide range of results.

However it's rather difficult to do the opposite, using a soft or
poorly-corrected lens to take a clear, contrasty and sharp picture with little
or no distortion. Sometimes that's the job - delivering sharp and clear
results. Othertimes not.

For professionals, I would think they have and can justify the expense of both
- "character" glass with a glow or some pleasing abberations for portraiture
and the like, and "clinical" glass for counting the number of angels on the
head of a pin.

Cheers,
Thor