[rollei_list] Re: Hearing Aid Batteries in Nikon F

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:56:48 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:07 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Hearing Aid Batteries in Nikon F

I notice about a 1/3 stop difference between a discharged silver cell and a 'full' one in my converted Nikkormat. Solution: replace the silver cell before using the camera for critical work.

While folks in the late 90s got into differences of 1/6 of a stop with their digital wonder meters, the old Modern and Pop Photo magazines in the Oakland Public library used +- 1/2 stop from a reference light source as their standard. A bit of tolerance certainly makes life a bit easier...

...and which of you keep a shutter speed tester, measure your actual shutter speeds and keep them on a card in your camera case for reference? (I believe Bill Pierce used to do that with his Leicas). As I recall, the tolerance for mechanical shutters was 1/3 of a stop, 1/2 stop for the highest two speeds.

The tolerance of Compur shutters was +/- 20 percent, at least at the highest speeds. Note that the marked speeds on nearly all shutters is the _effective_ speed when the iris is wide open. That takes into account the error due to lack of efficiency. The effective speed is larger for smaller stops. If you measure a Compur at full speed (1/500th for modern ones) the speed on a meter which measures only the center of the beam, i.e., total open time, is about 1/380th. The marked speed becomes closer to the effective speed for slower shutter speeds because the opening and closing time of the blades remains constant at all speeds. For the most part positive-negative systems both B&W and color have a pretty wide tolerance for exposure error but reversal films of both types are quite critical.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA