[rollei_list] Re: Hearing Aid Batteries in Nikon F

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 23:50:03 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Attaway" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:04 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Hearing Aid Batteries in Nikon F

Hi Richard:

If you send your Nikon F to Robert Decker (drwyn@xxxxxxx), he can convert it to use 1.5v silver cells.

I've had him do several of my oldies and they work fine.

    Thanks for the tip.
I am not sure whether silver oxide cells have as flat a voltage characteristic as zinc air cells. It is the constancy of voltage which is important. Very few of the devices that use mercury cells have any sort of voltage regulation in them; they depend on the properties of the mercury cell. If the voltage is not constant adjusting the meter to read right with a fresh cell means it will drift off as the voltage drops. My research on currently available cells indicates that the zinc-air cell comes closes to the mercury cell in the flatness of its voltage output. It is simply not as long lived. Mercury cells were used in some peculiar applications. A common one was as bias cells in electronic equipment which ran on batteries. Obtaining the bias from the cell allowed more of the main battery voltage to be applied elsewhere. These cells were often soldered in because they operated with essentially no load and would last for decades.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA