[roc-chat] Re: 4" Goblin on K2045

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:47:04 -0700

Launched a heavily modified 4" goblin on a K2045, no grain collapse, but the chute never came out, when i dug it out of the crater (yes crater) there were shreds of the nosecone at the bottom of the of the carnage. I never did figure out why the nose never ejected. The motor case was 'significantly distorted' after the landing, the entire front of it was flared back over the back of the motor. Bought Jack a new case that day, it was a loaner.

Couple of things;

1) Get a tracker, it was impossible to see it going up
2) Beware of whiplash
3) Come up with a cool name, we went with the Shred Zeppelin
4) Can I watch
5) Doc tried a near stock goblin on a K1999, it re kitted about 50 feet up

Mike Kramer

On 4/1/2012 6:32 PM, Leslie Stephens wrote:
I remember a drag race at ROC with 4" goblins on K-1999'z after seeing that i believe a K2045 should be ok

Andy H

On Apr 1, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Steve Trammell wrote:

Forgot about grain collapse. Looks like some more research is in order. It is rocket science after all :-)

Thanks all,

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Gene Engelgau wrote:

At 92 g's You could collapse the propellant grains and make a big boom! Fiber glassing the fins will not help in that case.
--
- Regards

Gene Engelgau
KI6IBL, NAR 86770 / TRA 12243 - L3
_http://fruitychutes.com_ <http://fruitychutes.com/> - Consumer and Aerospace Recovery Solutions
_Like us on Facebook!_ <http://www.facebook.com/fruitychutes>
_Follow us on Twitter!_ <http://twitter.com/fruitychutes/>
408-499-9050

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM, JACK GARIBALDI < _JackGaribaldi@xxxxxxxx <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('JackGaribaldi@xxxxxxx')>> wrote:
Maybe glass the fins and I think it will work
Jack

Sent from my Mil Spec IPhone 4S

On Apr 1, 2012, at 5:11 PM, "Steve Trammell" < _stramm8235@xxxxxxxxxxxx <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('stramm8235@xxxxxxxxxxx')>> wrote:

I'm thinking of flying a 4" Goblin (stock build + fin fillets) on a CTI K2045. I've flown this rocket on a number of K motors including 2 successful K1100 flights. The K1100 flights pulled 40g's and reached 1,000 MPH. A K2045 flight sims to 92g's and 1100+ MPH. Any thoughts?

Also, does CTI V-Max propellant use standard delay charges or are electronics needed like AT Warp9 propellant?