[roc-chat] Re: 18mm and 24mm E, F, and G motors

  • From: Steve Trammell <stramm8235@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 23:28:17 -0400 (EDT)

Well thanks for the kind words Mike. The Tiny Goblin flew on a CTI Pro24 F85. Sim'd to 800 MPH and 3,000 feet. I'm pretty sure it hit the marks because it vanished at about 1,000 feet (needs a smokier motor). Recovery was dumb luck; walked in the direction it was headed when it vanished and it laying on the playa right behind the back row of cars.

Other excellent "over clockers" are the Estes Black Brant and Sky Writer, both of which will take 24mm motors. The "longitudinal integrity" of the Sky Writer means slow burn 24mm motors only. Doesn't take well to high G lift offs. Don't ask how I know this :-)

Guess I'll have to dust off the Smokes now.

Steve Trammell

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Mike Riss wrote:

 Brian,

Two of my favorite rockets are V2's and Nike Smokes. I saw Steve Trammell with a Quest Nike Smoke that he had modified for 29mm reloads. So, I bought a couple of kits and made one 29mm since I had a bunch of E16's and E23's, and one 24mm for the E9. Some nose weight was required, but they both fly great. I got some V2 balsa nose and tailcones from Balsa Machining Service, and made a 1.6 inch with a 24mm mount for another great E9 flier, plus the E15. I also had a Vaughn Brothers Blobbo with a 24mm mount that flew well on the E9 and E15. Haven't been brave enough to put something like an F or G in them yet, but Steve does that all the time. IIRC, he had a downsized Goblin that he flew last month on an F or G, and even got it back!

In addition to checking the CG with the larger motors, also consider 'chute size to make sure it's right for the weight of the larger motor. And, you might need to upgrade the shock cord and 'chute protection as well.

Mike