[roc-chat] Re: XPRS

  • From: Mike Riss <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:48:51 -0700 (PDT)

The current Tripoli K record, 29266 ft, was set using the K300.

I think Kurt G. used to hold it at 22K or 23K ft or so on a K250 IIRC.

What sim(s) are people using?  I hear RAS Aero is a little better than RocSim
for supersonic flights, especially those exceeding Mach 1.4.  It's free to
download from http://www.rasaero.com/

Also, make sure the Cd is realistic.  Sometimes the sims default to a Cd that's
a little high.  You can check this by using actual flight data, and adjusting
the Cd until the sim more closely matches the actual altitude.  For something
that you haven't flown before, you might be able to note the Cd differences for
rockets you have flown, and approximate a correction factor.

Also make sure that you're taking advantage of the sims ability to input launch
weather conditions like temperature and launch site elevation.

And don't forget, you might get lucky and get "perfect air".  A number of
records that exceeded the existing record by a significant amount were set at
Black Rock  :-)

Mike