[racktables-users] Re: RackTables is looking for developers

  • From: Kevin Phair <kevin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:54:05 -0500

On 12/14/2011 2:48 PM, Shannon Kamer wrote:
I would absolutely love to help out with the project.  However, I've
done a lot of development on personal projects, but never on a
"team-like" public project and have never really been sure about how the
"proper" way would be to submit code and patches....but if someone would
be kind enough to "show me the ropes" (off the list, of course)

There are some links from the wiki that might help you start out:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/racktables/index.php?title=SourceCode

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/racktables/index.php?title=RackTablesDevelGuide

That being said, assuming there was one or more volunteers to do so, would there be any interest in moving the project over to github? Ignoring my bias towards git, getting code from new contributors seems much simpler and to involve less overhead over there.

 I would
love to help out.  This would also help me feel more confident about
helping with other open source projects down the line.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello, list.

    As some of you already know, for the last few months I've been
    trying to drive additional special branches in Quagga Routing Suite.
    This is a very demanding job, which I will keep doing for several
    reasons. Given the size and complexity of the project, there is an
    obvious impact to my ability to contribute to RackTables. Most of
    the time it remained unseen due to Alexey's help and the way we
    split development into stable and development branches, but this
    cannot last forever. Either RackTables team needs more active
    developers or even the very conservative roadmap [1] published
    before will be significantly (!) delayed. Or both.

    I see new people joining the list and this letter is a perfect
    opportunity to remind, that contributing to RackTables requires just
    a few things: knowledge of PHP, knowledge of MySQL, some datacenter
    experience and a will to learn new things. This is an open and a
    free project and, as anyone can see, most contributors' names are on
    the ChangeLog (and some even in COPYING). Basically, I am looking
    for professional developers with strong discipline, self-starters,
    for free. :-D

    As an example of a simple work, which also counts, here are two
    Mantis tickets requesting updates to SNMP code:

    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/racktables/view.php?id=492
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/racktables/view.php?id=493

    If you look at "Roadmap" and "Unassigned" lists in Mantis, you'll
    see other requests of varying complexity. Most of them are just
    waiting for about a day of developer's time, and if you were looking
    for some Free Software experience, just get in. Cheers!

    [1]

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/racktables/nfs/project/r/ra/racktables/6/64/RackTables-development-roadmap-2011Q3.png

    --
        Denis Ovsienko