[racktables-users] RackTables is looking for developers

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:47:50 +0400

Hello, list.

As some of you already know, for the last few months I've been trying to drive
additional special branches in Quagga Routing Suite. This is a very demanding
job, which I will keep doing for several reasons. Given the size and complexity
of the project, there is an obvious impact to my ability to contribute to
RackTables. Most of the time it remained unseen due to Alexey's help and the
way we split development into stable and development branches, but this cannot
last forever. Either RackTables team needs more active developers or even the
very conservative roadmap [1] published before will be significantly (!)
delayed. Or both.

I see new people joining the list and this letter is a perfect opportunity to
remind, that contributing to RackTables requires just a few things: knowledge
of PHP, knowledge of MySQL, some datacenter experience and a will to learn new
things. This is an open and a free project and, as anyone can see, most
contributors' names are on the ChangeLog (and some even in COPYING). Basically,
I am looking for professional developers with strong discipline, self-starters,
for free. :-D

As an example of a simple work, which also counts, here are two Mantis tickets
requesting updates to SNMP code:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/racktables/view.php?id=492
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/racktables/view.php?id=493

If you look at "Roadmap" and "Unassigned" lists in Mantis, you'll see other
requests of varying complexity. Most of them are just waiting for about a day
of developer's time, and if you were looking for some Free Software experience,
just get in. Cheers!

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/racktables/nfs/project/r/ra/racktables/6/64/RackTables-development-roadmap-2011Q3.png

--