[pythian] Re: PROJECT - Beta Released

  • From: "Lithander" <lithander@xxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:44:07 +0200

> Weird, isn't it?  That's the texture Kamil sent me, but hopefully we can
> replace it without too much trouble.
I think I remember having made such an effect (with the weird colors). If
it's the one I made and you should open the *.pas file where the
effect-class is defined and go to the template definition. There you can
alter the Color of every template to your likings.

> I noticed this as well.  My FPS went down to 20 when I positioned the
camera
> near the FX.  Perhaps we should reduce the number of particles in this
> situation or something.
As this effect was written for testing it's quite performance consuming.
Besides that there should be one or another performance tweaks I could do to
ppFX. I think I'll try to improve the code this weekend and write a short
doc about what has to be considered when implementing effects to get fast
results.

I'm not sure how I can test if my changes improve the performance in pythian
and to what extend. I'd need to know how you use ppFX inside the pythian
engine. If ppFXcore and ppFXutils are unmodified and the fx you put with the
editor is a hardcoded class inside a pass file I could just recompile the
pythian code and see the changes. Otherwise I had to send you updated files
and you try it and tell me if it improved the performance....

-lith