[pythian] Re: PROJECT - Beta Released

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:54:13 -0400

> I searched quite a while for other objects than
> the torch but didn't find any. (where are they?)

On my hard drive. :)  I didn't have time to add any of the objects yet, but
I will in the next few days.

The houses are objects as well, not part of the base mesh of the level.  The
textures look bad right now because of degradation caused by repeated
compression using JPEG.  I noticed this but didn't have time to fix it.  I
hope to change the images to PNG, which should keep the textures about the
same size, but will not degrade them.

> The torch however comes out nice (cool color! what kind of
> chemicals burn there?)

Weird, isn't it?  That's the texture Kamil sent me, but hopefully we can
replace it without too much trouble.

> except if do a close look on the fx. (fx almost fullscreen)

I noticed this as well.  My FPS went down to 20 when I positioned the camera
near the FX.  Perhaps we should reduce the number of particles in this
situation or something.

> I've the opinion that size is very small compared
> to the pc.

No, you're right.  They are too small.  I am resizing them.

> The last thing I want to mention, wich was really anoying,
> was the camera
> that got stuck in walls or just failed to follow the pc
> constantly inside
> the fort. This resulted in lot's of clipping errors, too.

Yes, the camera gets stuck on lots of things.  Camera control is difficult
and I haven't found a more reliable way to control the camera yet.  It will
get better over time, but the fort certainly does expose the many problems
with it.

> just thought it'd be better to mention these things. Perhaps
> one or another can be fixed before the public release....

I also appreciate the bug reports.  We need to hear these things in order to
address them.  I shall use the bug database on the web site to make notes
about these things.  Certainly the house textures and the house scale will
get fixed for the public release, but I am not sure about the other things.

Darryl