[pure-silver] Re: stripped screw

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:26:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vick Ko" <vick.ko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 2:17 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: stripped screw

Here is one trick.

Drill it out by hand, not using a machine drill, at a diameter smaller than the threads. Then pick out the threads. I have a jeweller's drill that you twirl by hand (I can't remember what they are called).

Good luck.
Vick

Even such as Home Depot have hand drills. I think though a drill press is a better tool since one can locate the drill accurately and make sure it is on axis and concentric with the screw. This is the difficult part of using an EZ-Out. Once the hole is drilled the extracting tool will work pretty easily although I suggest using some "Liquid Wrench" and letting it soak into the screw hole for a couple of days. Liquid Wrench is a brand and is much superior to WD-40 for getting things unstuck. I've used screw extractors successfully many times but had trouble until I learned that I was not steady enough to use a hand-held drill.