[pure-silver] Re: portraits for a book

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:59:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: shannon stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 26, 2004 5:26 AM
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: portraits for a book

>Are you using 4x5 or med format?  The Fuji film is only available in special
>quickloads in 4x5.  Tri-X would probably make a good film for manly looking
>men if you wanted a lot of facial texture.

I think I will be using mainly my 4x5 camera, and the subjects will
be mostly men, older men actually.

--shannon

    Have a look at the work of Karsh, the famous Canadian portrait
photographer. There are several things to be learned from his work. First, he
studied classical painting. I believe this influenced his posing and lighting
to a very great degree. This is especially notable in his color work.
     If you compare his portraits of men to those of women you will see a
definite difference in "look" beyond lighting. I am pretty sure he used
orthochromatic film for men and pan film for women. Also, there have always
been very long toe films like the current Tri-X sheet film intended for
protrait use. They tend to exagerate highlights and textures. Ortho film tends
to exagerate variations in skin tones so was popular for male "character"
portraits, not what you want for a flattering look. There is no longer any
ortho film made for pictorial purposes but the effect can be approximated by
using a cyan filter. However, the long toe characteristic of Tri-X will give
you enough of this effect anyway. For women I suggest 400 T-Max. To my eye it
has a "creamy" look in the mid tones which is very flattering. Experiment with
these two films. its easy with sheet film to shoot nearly identical scenes on
each film.