[pure-silver] Re: portraits for a book

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:24:42 +0800

Dear Shannon,

    I cannot comment about publisher's requirements but I can second what
Richard Knoppow said re. distance from the subject and choice of focal
length. Whatever format you are going to work in, think in terms of a focal
length that is 1.5 to 2 times the diagonal of your negative.

     As far as film goes....well tell us more about the look of the image
that you want to present. If it is graininess that moves you the TRI X in
35mm blown up suitably might be the way to go. If you want smoother results
perhaps the same film in medium format or 4 x 5. Or if you are wedded to the
35mm size try a lower ASA film like T MAX 100 or Ilford FP 4. As you are
supplying lighting for your portraits you will have to supply a little more
but the results in smoother negs will be worth it.

    Lighting is simple. $ 20,000 of strobe equipment and a studio the size
of a zeppelin hanger is all you need. Or a nice clear lounge room window and
a reflector or two. I favour the zeppelin hanger option myself. Haunt the
local bookstore for lighting books and try to get something written by the
British author Roger Hicks. He is funny and accurate in what he writes
about.

     Uncle Dick