[pure-silver] Re: portraits for a book

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:24:02 -0700

Shannon,

It depends on what you're going for, who you're shooting, etc.  I shoot
mostly women and they want to look pretty.  The best film I've found so far
for this is Neopan Acros 100 in medium speed films and Neopan 400 when I
need more speed.  TMX and Delta 400 would be close runners up for me. Very
smooth skintones.

Are you using 4x5 or med format?  The Fuji film is only available in special
quickloads in 4x5.  Tri-X would probably make a good film for manly looking
men if you wanted a lot of facial texture.

Lighting is all.  For pretty shots you'll want very soft diffuse light with
not too much contrast between key and fill.  2 or 3 to 1.  Consider hair and
backlighting.  It's not hard to set up with several hardware store clip-on
lights.