[pure-silver] Re: messed-up threads on tripod head

  • From: stephen moss <swmoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:55:17 -0300

Just in case no one mentioned it earlier.  If you are using a tap to
cleanup or finish threading on a blind hole you need a "bottoming" tap
which has very little taper so it can cut thread almost all the way to
the bottom of the hole.

On 18/06/14 10:16 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Most tripod screws are 1/4-20, that means 1/4 inch diameter and 20
> threads per inch, a standard size.  You If you can get the screw out
> of the hole run a tap into the hole as advised by others. You can get
> a tap at any hardware store plus you may need to get a tap wrench. You
> may want to bring the thing to the store. The tap should be lubricated
> with light oil. Work turn the tap in slowly and work it back and forth
> while going further in. That will straighten the hole.  The screw may
> also need treatment. See if it will thread into a 1/4-20 nut easily.
> If not you will need to get a 1/4-20 die. That is the opposite of the
> tap and cuts threads on the male part.  Used much the same way as the
> tap, work it slowly a little at a time with some light oil lubricant.
> These are not particularly expensive tools and will last a long time
> if used with a bit of care. Some old fashioned hardware stores may
> just do the job for you.
>

> --
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles
> WB6KBL
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "shannon Stoney"
> <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Stephen Moss

Sent using Carrier Pigeon Deluxe version 42.0
Never eat crow again.