[pure-silver] Re: messed-up threads on tripod head

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:16:26 -0700

Most tripod screws are 1/4-20, that means 1/4 inch diameter and 20 threads per inch, a standard size. You If you can get the screw out of the hole run a tap into the hole as advised by others. You can get a tap at any hardware store plus you may need to get a tap wrench. You may want to bring the thing to the store. The tap should be lubricated with light oil. Work turn the tap in slowly and work it back and forth while going further in. That will straighten the hole. The screw may also need treatment. See if it will thread into a 1/4-20 nut easily. If not you will need to get a 1/4-20 die. That is the opposite of the tap and cuts threads on the male part. Used much the same way as the tap, work it slowly a little at a time with some light oil lubricant. These are not particularly expensive tools and will last a long time if used with a bit of care. Some old fashioned hardware stores may just do the job for you.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message ----- From: "shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>