[pure-silver] Re: [lens] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:37:29 -0400

On Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 13:00,
BILL WILLIAMS <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrot

> My opinion, and from what I can determine for myself,
> is that both the digital point and shoot owners and
> the digital SLR owners have spent far more money on
> purchase, operation, BATTERIES, and UPGRADES of
> digital cameras, software, and support systems in a
> couple or so years than I will on film, chemicals, and
> paper in the next 15 or 20 years. And I am a healthy
> film, chemical, and paper consumer(film cameras and
> lens seem to be lasting forever).  So, I don't think a
> statment about digital being less costly to shoot than
> film is a factual statement, but instead a marketing
> statement from the digital manufacturers to lure
> purchasers in much the same way as the pied piper
> lured the rodents to doom.

I don't think it's about cost so much - though each digital pic is essentially
free after capital costs.

It's about communication - people can send their pics by email to friends.

And control - edit, crop, enlarge, on a computer you already have.

tOM
--
tOM Trottier, Ottawa, Canada
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8