[pure-silver] Re: learning to hand color photographs

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:15:54 -0600

Do you have the web site address for Marshall's photo oils? I could not find it.

--shannon

The dye sets used to be sold for retouching color images. Most hand coloring is done using transparent oil paint. The largest seller is Marchall's, they have a web site. You can get a sampler in the form of a kit. For the most part hand coloring is mostly just tinting but the real thing looks like a color photo with brilliant colors. The transparent oils prevent it from looking like a painting although you can achieve that effect. The fully colored photos I've seen were done by very skillful people. I suspect it helps to know how to paint with oils. Just tinting is easier and may be quite acceptable. The results with oils is different than working with dyes. Its also possible to work with "Hi-Liter" pens. You can get some curious effects by coloring in just parts of an image, say eyes and lips. In the "old days" which seem to me to be yesterday, the recommended surfaces were semi-matt and warm-tone stock was preferred. This is probably because it made getting caucasion skin tones right easier. However, I suspect a skilled colorist can work with a neutral stock and image just fine. I think a search through a good library will find many books on hand coloring. I don't know which is the best book. I have just a little background in art but find "real" coloring to be beyond my skills although I've managed some decent tinted pictures.

---