[pure-silver] Re: learning to hand color photographs

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:43:25 +0100

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:11:08 -0600, EJ Neilsen wrote
> What do you use to remove an over colored area?

I use liquid and dry dyes.

Liquid (details):

I use the Posicol system. The system contains an "entfaerber" (remover) to
reduce or remove colours once applied. There is also something called
"Colorfort" in the system. It removes colours from the print (bleach).

Dry (larger areas):

I also use Kodak dry dyes. It contains a dry remover. Once steamed the
colours are fast. Here I use a dilute solution of ammonia in water to
remove "mistakes" that I discover "late".

Both the Posicol and Kodak Dry Dyes are, I think, the best of the
vanishing breeds. They are both, however, prohibitively expensive at
this time to purchase--- the 10 colour box from Kodak (if one can find
it) has a street price in excess of $150 USD (last published list price
was something absurd like $300 USD) and the Posicol 14 colour (+ entfaerber
+ colorfort) is not cheaper.. (and one really "needs" both)

The market for these products was portrait studios before digital..

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
http://www.nonmonotonic.net