[pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:47:09 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 8:30 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

This one is flat. The one I use for the 135mm enlarging lens is a recessed cone. I was told by the Devere people that I had to have the flat lens board for the 300 mm lens. But maybe they were wrong. I will try your suggestions when I get back to Houston. Maybe the lens would work with the recessed cone lens board; however, I have a feeling that
the hole won't fit both lenses.  The 300mm lens is huge.

This enlarger (the Devere 108) has a diffusion head.

--shannon

I suspect the problem is not the lens board. The inverted cone is used for short focal length lenses because the bellows do not collapse enough to focus it. Many larger size enlargers use inverted cone mounts for short lenses. Assuming that the negative can be focused with either lensboard the position of the lens with regard to the film will not be affected by the mount. The doughnut may have been Newton's rings. The rings are caused by reflection between two surfaces which are very close together. The number and size of the rings depends on the distance and the shape by flatness of the surfaces. The two surfaces must be either exactly flat or have exactly the same curvature for the rings to be perfectly round. By making one of the surfaces non-reflecting the rings can be eliminated. In the case of a glass sandwich negative holder there are two pairs of surfaces which can cause rings. For many films the emulsion side is slightly matt so is less likely to form rings than the support side but some modern films have emulsions which are quite smooth and reflective. When "anti-newton" glass is used the rough surface is normally in contact with the support side of the film. Most of the Newton's rings problems I've seen show multiple rings but this doesn't eliminate a couple of large rings. Since changing the negative holder cured the problem it does seem to be a Newton's rings problem.

---