[pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 08:49:28 +0200

Shannon Stoney a écrit :
I think I get it. You're saying that it's ok for the frosted glass to be on top, because then it's like the ground glass in the camera: not between the negative and the lens. Is that right?

Ok, so I did it right: I put the frosted glass on top, touching the base of the film. Why did I still get Newton rings? I thought the purpose of the frosted glass was to discourage Newton rings, but apparently it didn't work. The 4x5 carrier just has plain glass and there were no Newton rings and never have been, even though the glass is in contact with the film base.
IMHO, the problem encountered here is not newton rings. It is flare. And this is why the different carriers provide different results. THis flare was caused by reflexion by the paper on the baseboard or into the enlarger bellows and the condenser system of the enlarger. Maybe the two carrier are of different colors ? Or one has chipped paint showing the metal base ? As your negative is not 4x5, try print using the good size neg carrier and put above it or above the negative a piece ob black drawing paper with an opening just sufficient to discover the negative to print. If the problem was from flare, it won't show, if from newton rings, it will...

What does anti-Newton-ring glass look like? Maybe that's not what this glass actually is. The guy that set up the enlarger for me told me that's what it was, but maybe he was wrong.
Anti newton rings glass looks like ordinary glass but has one side really lightly frosted. It is quite subtle. But if you look at it from an angle, you'll see that the surface is not smooth. As it is really light, it is quite difficult to see. But this is this unsmooth surface which has to touch the film base to break the perfect surface contact. It is better to compare with plain glass and check reflections to distinguish between non frosted and frosted surfaces.

--shannon

--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,