[pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:14:04 -0500

Are Newton rings really named after Isaac Newton?  If so, why?

--shannon

On May 11, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Jim Brick wrote:

As I said days ago... the image looked like Isaac himself paid you a visit!

Plain glass in contact with the film BASE = Isaac Newton visit.

Frosted glass, ground glass, anti-Newton glass in contact with the film BASE = no Isaac Newton visits.

Isaac Newton does not typically visit the emulsion side of the film.

The emulsion should be facing the enlarger lens and be against plain (hopefully optically flat) glass.

If you want to flip the image, ie, emulsion up, this poses another problem since the film base is now in contact with the clear, very flat, smooth, lower glass. In this case, use a very thin construction paper mask around your neg in order to move the glass/film BASE junction slightly apart. The film BASE is not squashed tight to the glass thus reducing the Isaac Newton visit. The thickness of the mask will be determined by trial. It may take several thicknesses of black construction paper or a very thin piece of black cardboard.

Jim

At 10:27 AM 5/11/2007 -0500, Shannon Stoney wrote:

Maybe that was the notorious Newton ring. I thought the frosted glass
WAS anti-Newtonian glass, but maybe it wasn't, or maybe I installed it
wrong.

--shannon