[pure-silver] Re: disposing of developer and fixer in rural areas

  • From: "Mike Kirwan" <mkirwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:00:37 -0700

At the community college where I worked about 10 years ago they cut out
their silver recovery program, and one of the chemistry prof?s recommended
dropping some wire wool into the used fixer. This attracted the silver irons
and after about a month it was removed and the small and very black ball of
wire wool was taken for disposal. The remaining fixer was mixed with water
and used to top up flowers in a vase which everyone swore blind it kept the
flowers fresher longer.

Not sure about the last use, could be an old wives tale, but I did read an
article in the old and long discontinued Darkroom magazine that one of the
chemists on staff recommended the wire wool technique.

Mike