[pure-silver] Re: acrchival wash in cold water?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:28:49 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "john stockdale" <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:10 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: acrchival wash in cold water?

I don't know what your options are there, but here in Australia I have a gas "instant" system that heats the water as it flows through. A disadvantage is that there is a minimum flow rate, under which the gas has to cut out. So I can no longer run a tap with a tiny amount of hot to mix with the cold to get a particular temperature: I have to run it at a high rate. The make is Rinnai for what it's worth.

John Stockdale

These things are sometimes called Geyser heaters for some reason. I first encountered one in England many years ago. I tried to take a shower... Either scalding or freezing, no in between. I wound up taking a bath but had to run the hot and cold water separately because the bath/shower had a mixing faucet. As soon as the back pressure from the cold water hit the geyser it stopped heating. UGH. I understand this thing was probably not adjusted right and plenty of folks have satisfactory non-storage heaters. They are actually quite economical especially if you don't use a lot of hot water because you are not paying for keeping a tank full of water hot all the time. BTW the stove (cooker) had a salamander. For those not cognizant this is a sort of broiler in a across the top of the stove. Very useful for making toast and frying bacon, etc. I miss that.