[pure-silver] Re: acrchival wash in cold water?

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

I was mostly interested in the optimum water heater specs but have found one,
not at home depot, and supposedly much better brand than they sell.  Bradford
White is the brand in case anyone finds themselves in the same boat.
The 'instant' water system has it's downsides plus added plumbing expenses.
We've been getting clobbered by the electricians, plumbers and various other
trades people coming through here.  Our building is a 2 flat and we don't see
ourselves living here forever, so this unit will be more than adequate for our
future tenants.

RE: Washing....I also remember there being speculation re:the OBA's in the
paper
being washed away in a long wash.  I checked that today and these prints still
glow nicely under UV.  Whether as brightly as before is a valid question.

Richard your point is well taken and I always think of you & the too much/too
long washing issue, and these concerned me.  But I hated the idea of pulling
"partially" washed prints out and drying them as, in my mind, I believed that
if
done that way, the fixer left in the prints would permanently adhere to the
paper. Not to mention the probable contamination of the drying screens.  My
belief was unsubstantiated by fact but afaik not discounted either! =)

A re-wash, once hot water is restored tomorrow, was a possibility, but I just
wanted to make sure I didn't carry over fix to the screens and have it stuck in
the prints forever as well.
I kind of alternated between diffusion and friction with some washes since
yesterday giving the water time to warm up in the pipes inside before the 45°
water got to the washer.
Anywho, fingers crossed, they are in the dryer and once the heater is installed
tomorrow I can finish the job.