[pure-silver] Re: acrchival wash in cold water?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:01:53 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:38 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: acrchival wash in cold water?

Good luck with the plumber. Good ones are worth it but the less the tradesman's entrance is used the better:-) Richard Henry did some experimentation with washing out of brighteners. By memory he found that some washed out quickly but then slowed down a lot so some brightener stays in the paper even after long washes. I don't know exactly what the brightener is or how it bonds with the support or substrate so I have no idea of by what mechanism it washes out. To be effective it must be in the substrate layer rather than in just the support. The substrate, either baryta of conventional paper or the plastic of RC paper, must be what glows for the image to be brighter. BTW, papers with brighteners will look different under incandescant light where there is not much UV to excite it than in daylight or fluorescent light. A paper like the late, lamented, Kodabromide, which has no brightener, looks the same under all types of light where modern RC papers don't. Also, tinted paper in general does not have brightener in it. I suspect this stuff is similar to the "blueing" sold for laundry purposes.