[pure-silver] Re: Weird Film Issue

  • From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:29:03 -0300

> Discovered this morning, the mysterious film and line of dried "beads" is
> there on 3 of the 5 rolls - even worse than before!  Random dried liquid
> splashes and splotches all down the length of the rolls, a total mess.  The
> only saving grace is that they are on the non-emulsion side.

In the past I have had similar problems in a town with very hard water.
Rinsing the film in distilled water (20-25 degree C) plus wetting agent, and
then *gently* using my 2nd and 3rd fingers (index finger and the one next to
it) as a squeegee solved the problem.  Occasionally it took a very slight
rubbing with my thumb to dislodge with felt like grit on the non-emulsion side.
 I have never scratched film when running it gently through my (clean, wet)
fingers.

The problem *may* be worse during the spring if you live in a climate with
winter freezing.  When the ground thaws in the spring we have sometimes had
slightly discoloured water.  For a few years I could not make black and white
prints for about 3 weeks every year in April or May because of permanent
chemical staining of the emulsion.  Eventually the city determined that when
they flushed out the water mains in the spring it stirred up sediment in a
water line dead end near my house. They removed the dead end and the problem
disappeared.

Myron
Fredericton, NB, Canada