[pure-silver] Re: Weird Film Issue

Richard Knoppow wrote (in part):

>     A rinse consisting of a combination of Photo-Flo and
> alcohol works better than Photo-Flo alone.  For a liter of
> rinse use about an ounce of 70% rubbing alcohol and half a
> capful (about 2.5 ml) of Photo-Flo, about half the
> recommended amount.

You might wish to avoid the rubbing alcohols that contain oils or
perfumes. If you have access to a chemical supply house, you might use
isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). I use cheap house brand unflavored
vodka for dissolving benzotriazole, for example, because it does not
dissolve well in water. It might work in the Photo-Flow alcohol mix for
film rinsing.

>  Let the film soak in this for about two
> minutes and hang up to dry without squeegeeing.  Squeegeeing
> can cause scratches if there is any grit on the surface. The
> emulsion and anti-halation coating will be relatively soft
> because they are wet, especially if a non-hardening fixer
> has been used so will be quite vulnerable to scratching.
> The film with the marks can be soaked in a acetic acid stop
> bath, swab with coton balls if necessary,  then washed for a
> couple of minutes and treated in the above wetting agent.
>
>      I am not quite convinced this is due to hard water.
> Since the film was processed in multiple roll tanks were the
> rolls with marks from the same tanks?  Was there anything
> else they migh have in common?

 ^^-^^ 12:00:01 up 17 days, 5:37, 3 users, load average: 3.26, 3.31, 3.21