[pure-silver] Re: Tray volume

  • From: "J. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:11:11 -0400

I think I got this tip from Ralph. I tried over and over again to get
consistency from tray development. Looking at H&D curves, I finally
concluded tray development didn't suit my way of developing negatives
(developing different number of films at once (e.g. 1-4 depending on what I
had). Just too much variation in development. I then went to tube
development and I now get consistency.

My point is tray development works but every condition you alter needs to be
tested and standardized  (volume of developer, number of films,
temperature(?), pushing and pulling, day of the week... I just got tired of
all the experimentation.

I do use trays to develop masks using lith and ortho because I develop them
by inspection.

I made my 6 tubes from $30 worth of gray sewer pipe and caps I bought at the
hardware store.

Jim