[pure-silver] Re: Tray volume

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:53:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Camclicker@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 10:44 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Tray volume

> In a message dated 10/6/2004 1:03:35 PM Eastern Daylight
> Time,
> info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Are you  talking about a chemical or a physical point of
> view?
>
> Fill the tray to  safely cover the sheet, and you'll be
> fine as far as
> chemical activity  goes. I recommend using developer (even
> D76) as one-shot
> for consistency.  Consider a development tank, even if you
> hand-roll it on
> the table. It  works and needs a minimum of chemistry. If
> the Jobo tank is
> too expensive  for you, make your own from a plastic pipe
> (or ebay but check
> retail prices  first).
>

> Regards
>

> Ralph W.  Lambrecht
>

> Thank you Ralph,
> I have the Jobo setup and right now feel too clumbsy in
> I'm not comfortabale with development times and would like
> to get  first class
> negs on a consistant basis before venturing into Jobo
> Land.  A  few negs
> developed one at a time should put me within a correct
> time & temp  that I can
> safley adjust to Jobo Time.
>
> Bruce,
> Brooklyn, NY.

   Developing single sheets in a tray is quite easy. There
must be enough developer to cover the negative. Start of
development is more uniform if the film is slipped into the
developer edgewise rather than pouring the developer over
the film. Agitate by rocking the tray alternately sidways
and the long way. Using a tray larger than the film will
help to eliminate any difference in development along the
edges from turbulance at the walls of the tray.
  Bumps or grooves at the bottom of the tray will help in
removing the film.

  A general note on developer capacity and minimums: As the
developer is used it slows down. If the volume of developer
is too little it does not abruptly stop developing it only
becomes slower at development continues so the development
time must be extended from the chart time to get a desired
contast. When the developer is used only once the build-up
of reaction products does not affect the low densities as it
would if it were reused. This last might not be true if the
developer is pushed well into exhaustion.

---