[pure-silver] Re: Toning formulas

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Toning formulas
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:26:51 -0700

>     Bleach and redevelop toners, also called indirect
> toners, are best on cold or neutral tone papers because they
> tend to produce a yellowish brown. The color of the toned
> image depends on the color of the original silver image and
> to some degree on the developer.

The hue of toned image depends strongly on the paper AND
developer. For maximum toning effect, it is best to use DS-14 or
Dektol 1+2 for full development time.

> Single bath toners, also
> called direct toners, generally produce colder tones, more
> suitable for warm tone paper. KBT and my combination toner
> may produce very little color shift on some cold or neutral
> tone paper. There is no sure way of predicting this, one has
> to try.

It's true that y ou have to try to figure this out, but it is not true
to say that direct toners generally produce colder tones. It all
depends on the paper, developer, toner concentration, toning temp and
toning time. I wouldn't generalize it. I have many experimental
samples of prints that look too light and yellow from direct sulfur
toners.