[pure-silver] Re: Today's Watercooler Discussion: Dynamic Range

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:41:27 +0000 (GMT)

HDR
I find Night shots the most interesting, because in that case I think it corresponds more closely to the way we see the scene, when our brain puts the image together after adjusting to local levels of illumination.
Having said that some of my favorite nogh photography is older circa 1950 shots.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe
On Jan 30, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

It seems to me that something else is going on here. When we work in monochrome,
by definition, we're abstracting reality. We don't expect a B&W image to look
"real" insofar as all the colors are absent - or at least represented by gray scale.

But a color image is inherently expected to be more corespondent to exactly what
we see. Color film barely did this well (other than the loved, lost, and lamented
Kodachrome) and digital cannot yet do so well at all. HDR is an interesting approach
to fiddling with what amount to local contrast but it usually fails the
"it looks like what I see" test...