[pure-silver] Re: Today's Watercooler Discussion: Dynamic Range

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:28:42 -0800 (PST)

I think it depends on the eye of the practitioner as some folks have definitely
gone over the top HDR-wise creating an almost hand colored postcard look to
things.  Certainly clouds can get a weird look to them when worked on by a what
I would call a novice as they tend to add way too much drama that wasn't in the
original scene.

In re:to your question, I think it's a combination of what we're used to
seeing,
surprise at the range from our lowered expectations from digital up till
recently, and users getting a little heavy handed in their use of the method.
Your examples didn't seem too heavy handed for the most part.  In B&W I'd be
bleaching and dodging and burning like crazy to achieve that range....or is it
just my negs? ;)

Eric