[pure-silver] Re: Today's Watercooler Discussion: Dynamic Range

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:31:04 +0000 (GMT)

Some of the Color reminds me of 1950's John Hind postcards.  Probably much the same thinking was involved in their production too. A lot of the zone system was aimed at doing this in analog, and changing the effective curve used to reproduce the image. For some it gives brilliant results, but with others I find it too measured and cotrolled.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe

On Jan 28, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Monochrome film photographers routinely handle well over 16 stops of light.
Digital ... not so much. They resort to HDR techniques like this:

http://www.perfectphotoblog.com/high-dynamic-range-images-hdri-before-and-after-landscapes/1201/

I judge these to be quite beautiful but ... they don't look "real" to
me. To my eye they seem more "surreal".

So, here's the question: Is this a byproduct of the digital manipulation
process OR are we so used to seeing color without a lot of dynamic
range (even color film is pretty limited by comparison to B&W) that
when we see a full dynamic range color image it seems "fake".

Discuss amongst yourselves..