[pure-silver] Today's Watercooler Discussion: Dynamic Range

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:24:38 -0600

Monochrome film photographers routinely handle well over 16 stops of light.
Digital ... not so much.  They resort to HDR techniques like this:

http://www.perfectphotoblog.com/high-dynamic-range-images-hdri-before-and-after-landscapes/1201/

I judge these to be quite beautiful but ... they don't look "real" to
me. To my eye they seem more "surreal".

So, here's the question:  Is this a byproduct of the digital manipulation
process OR are we so used to seeing color without a lot of dynamic
range (even color film is pretty limited by comparison to B&W) that
when we see a full dynamic range color image it seems "fake".

Discuss amongst yourselves...