[pure-silver] Re: Strange Drymount Tissue Behavior

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:46:14 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Dec 20, 2004 10:00 PM
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Strange Drymount Tissue Behavior

Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Look again. On the Light Impressions home page there is a
>list of product catagories which, on my browser, displays as
>four wide. In the first column, forth down, is
>"Drymounting". Click on that for their mounting materials
>and presses. They make two presses one of which is the
>familiar Seal 210-M. Under "Tissue" they have "Colormount"
>and two others. I didn't look for the weight just now but I
>remember it being there under Accessories or some such.

I couldn't find where Light Impressions says that they make the dry
mount presses. Clearly, it's what used to be called a Seal 210, but this
item is listed as a Bienfang press on other sites.  The papers listed at
hunt have the same names as the old Seal ones, and they do make "Seal
Release Paper".  See  http://www.reuels.com/reuels/product10052.html

See also:
http://framersisland.com/product_info.php/cPath/37/products_id/130

and

http://framersisland.com/product_info.php/cPath/36/products_id/136

-Peter

    I looked at the Hunt-Bienfang site and found the stuff you are refering to.
The search, done by typing Hunt-Bienfang into the address window of IE shows
Seal products but the name Seal does not appear on the web site. The presses
seem to be updated models of the Seal presses and I found both the release
tissue and the flat weight, which I was not able to find before on this rather
poorly designed web site. I did not find a picture of the weight but it states
there are handles on it which is more like the
seal weight than the one at Light Impressions. Very curious, evidently both
companies are making products similar to, if not identical to, the old Seal
stuff. I am sure someone here knows the whole story.
    As far as the problem described in the original post there are two fairly
obvious things to investigate. One is the temperature of the press when heating
larger prints. Perhaps it drops enough to require some time to come back up to
fusion temperature. The other possibility is that the tissue is defective. I am
posting from a remote site now so I don't have the orignal post to look at, I
don't remember if both small and large prints were tried using the same roll or
sheets of mounting tissue. Its possible that the probe of an electronic
thermometer, or even a long meat thermometer could be gotten into the press to
check its actual temperature. Usually, two minutes is enough to fuse the
adhesive but the exact time will depend on the materials and especially how
much padding is used. One must isolate the problem to find a solution.