[pure-silver] Re: Spotting and Microscope Questions

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:30:47 -0500

>To repeat a suggestion I posted earlier in the year; as I find it more
>satisfactory to ink a white spot than to bleach a black one, I locate the
>pinhole on the easel then ,with the paper in position and the red filter
>over the lens, I apply the smallest disc of opaque material that will cover
>the spot. This is removed after exposure. Small bits of "Letraset" have the
>right amount of tackiness to stay put while being easily removed. If  your
>aim is not too good, but there is only one spot, you can shuggle the easel a
>wee bit, but if there are two or more, patience and accuracy are required.
>
>David Ogden

Hi David, I must've missed that the first time.  It's an interesting idea.

I've contacted some of the people who've bought the same type of
microscopes on Ebay that I mentioned earlier.  They're very happy with
them. While a little pricey, I expect that it'll provide fun and
educational opportunities for the family. In any case, I'd really like
to be able to work on the negative, and so that added magnification
would be quite useful.

To Ryuji, I knew you'd bring up that surgical microscope.  I expect that
one's a little out of my price league, and I'm no longer affiliated with
a research institution. (I've been on Pure Silver for awhile, and I've
never seen the "Gloat" "You Suck" terminology, as seen on
rec.woodworking and so on. It works like this. Someone says something
like: suppose someone says, "I just found a Powermatic 8" jointer in
great shape for $150 at a garage sale!" That's a gloat. People then
reply, "You suck!"  Is there an official ruling on this sort of thing?)

Regarding negative retouching, there's lots of old books on it. People
used dyes, razors, pencils.... I used to have an Adam's retouching
machine.  This vibrated the negative to make pencil retouching easier.
It was still difficult to do. In one of the recent books on Hurrell,
they show  prints from a negative before and after six hours of pencil
retouching. The results were amazing. For that kind of work, though, I'd
think that Photoshop would be the way to go today

-Peter.