[pure-silver] Re: Shoulder and highlight

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:21:24 +0100

Keep in mind, I have no experience with Fuji Acros but know Tmax films well
and use only D76, ID-11 and Rodinal film developers.

Many photographers like the 'rolling-off' highlights, I don't. The reason is
your experience with TriX and D76 at 1+3. A flat shoulder means that fairly
large exposure differences create fairly small density differences.
Consequently, these highlight differences are not showing up all that well,
they don't separate well. I prefer a steep shoulder or no shoulder at all up
to about 1.5 relative log density (about Zone IX). Beyond that, I don't
care, because I never use that portion of the characteristic curve for my
photography anyway. My useful negative density range is from 0.17 (Zone I.5)
to 1.37 (Zone VIII.5).

I use D76 at 1+1 and have no trouble. Could it be that your dilution of 1+3
starves the highlights of TriX, flattening the shoulder in the process? Try
D76 at 1+1 and see if it makes a difference. I'm intending to do a new TriX
film calibration for the Jobo within the next two weeks in D76 1+1, because
I rediscovered it recently for 4x5. I could tell you then.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht